Uncategorized

Why we rent our house out on Airbnb.

IMG_7210

Just about every time we go on vacation we rent our house out on Airbnb. When we share this with people, it’s often met with disbelief that we would let people stay in our home while we are away. For Zach and I, it just makes sense. If we have a house that’s sitting empty, why wouldn’t we want to make some money to either subsidize our trip, or pay for it entirely?

This last weekend we went camping at Redwoods National Park. We spent about $60 on gas, $70 on campsites, $100 on food. We were gone for 3 days, 2 nights… and we spent a total of about $230. However, we rented our house out for those same two nights and we made $364. Renting our house out not only paid all our expenses, it left money in our pocket.

IMG_7441

Sure, it can be inconvenient. When we leave for a trip and are running around like crazy people packing for a family of 6 while simultaneously keeping the house spotless, each and every time we ask ourselves… is this really worth it? But no matter how much stress it adds we always come to the same conclusion. It’s worth it. We like that we trust in humanity. We like that we get to share our home with others. We also really like the fact that we come home to a clean house.

Renting our house out gives us the opportunity to go on family trips more often. We are able to make memories with our kids and hope that they will remember climbing on huge trees in the Redwoods and running around soaking wet in all their clothes on the beach and going on hikes in beautiful canyons. Airbnb makes life more fun.

Photo of our master bedroom by Red Aspen Photography

6 Comments

Damon

August 24, 2016

Sounds like fun.A family of six?I only see 5…..Wait a minute,who took the picture?

Natalie

September 7, 2016

On Zach’s back, of course 🙂

Lisl Sukachevin

September 27, 2016

I’m interested in the details of renting out your house on AirBnb–maybe you’d consider doing a post on this? For example do you clear out the closets and drawers or can you just leave your things there? Definitely fresh linens on the beds and bathrooms. What about the fridge? Cleared out or do you leave your food? When I look around at my home it is generally clean and tidy but I still have papers here and there, etc. Do you clear everything off and leave nothing out? I guess I’m just curious what lengths you have to go to to make it rental ready. Thanks!

Natalie

October 2, 2016

Hi Lisl, We will definitely make a post about this with all the details! We leave all our dressers and closets full but get rid of all the dirty laundry and any personal items that would be things we don’t want others to see. For the fridge we leave all our food, we remove anything that may go bad while we are gone, nothing is worse than a smelly fridge/house! Anything with personal information on it like taxes, mail etc, we put locked away. Our house is filled with our stuff but super clean and tidy and all clean linens, towels etc. We will definitely make a full post with all the details, but hopefully this helps in the meantime 🙂

Alisa Florence

October 17, 2016

Yes I am interested in a full post as well! I don’t know that we are in an area that we could rent our house out though. But it sounds nice! lol. We aren’t close enough to Seattle I’m afraid…or what is your take on location for stuff like that? Obviously Portland is a very sought out destination, which might make it easier? I’m curious…

Natalie

October 24, 2016

Alisa, you could TOTALLY rent your house out while you are gone! Is there a hotel or motel anywhere near you? Then people are looking for places to stay 🙂